ok, i got halfway through installing gnome when i realized that gnome is
already installed on my redhat6.1 system!  but i chose KDE as my desktop
manager when i installed RH6.1.  does redhat install both and just configure
xclients to start kde if thats the one you choose?

anyways, my real questions is...  redhat installs kde and gnome when you
install redhat on your system, well, i want to remove them >both< and install
them from scratch (via compiling source) in directories that i choose.  how
do remove kde/gnome (the versions installed by redhat) >completely<
(libraries and all) from my system??  the problem is that programs are
finding libraries and files from the orginal kde/gnome installs, instead of
the installs >i< did (/usr/local/kde2, and /usr/local/gnome)!

thanks a ton for the help...
christopher