On 14-Dec-2000 christopher j bottaro opined:
> i've have KDE2 installed.  and i'm installing gnome now.  the problem
> (accually, i don't even know if its a problem) is that the installation
> instructions for gnome says to "download, compile and install the
> following
> packages in order.".  well i started...i got audiofile, compiled and
> installed it to /usr/local/gnome.  well, package X is dependent on some
> audiofile libs and files.  well configure for package X is finding the
> audiofile files in /usr/local/kde2, not in /usr/local/gnome...!!!  what
> do i
> do?
>
> thanks for the help!  hopefully in a few more weeks i won't be such a
> linux
> newbie anymore and can figure these things out on my own...

Almost everything with a configure script has an option to specify paths
to where files are located. Those that don't have a configure script can
almost always be changed in the Makefile.

Type:

        ./configure --help | less

to see all of the options. Sometimes you won't find anything specific to
a particular set of files (like the audio packages). But, generally there
are options that will allow for extra includes and extra libraries within
the configure script.

In this case, it's likely something like:

        ./configure --<option_for_file_location>=/usr/local/gnome

The --<option_for_file_location> should probably be replaced with
--with-extra-libs & --with-extra-includes or something like that, anyway.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level
then beat you with experience.