Dave,
  That was it!  Now I wonder why in the past, since RH 5.2 I
have never had to rename the original modules directory
under /lib and I have recompiled every kernel since 5.2 when
installed?  Oh well, another lession learned.

I did go through the Linux Kernel HOWTO and it doesn't say
to rename the original /lib/modules.x.y.z before making
modules (See Part 9)  There may be a more complete older
HOWTO out there or another HOWTO alltogether that address
this point.

Thanks

Bob
Dave Reed wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:32:27 -0600
> > From: Bob Hartung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > After successful recompile, I made modules and installed
> > them.  Upon rebooting I have 25 unresolved symbols reported
> > in dmesg.  How do I start tracking these down.  This is
> > driving me up the proverbial wall and RH is of NO HELP!
> >
> > Bob
> > --
> > Bob Hartung
> > www.radiologygrouppc.com
> > www.qchealthwatch.com
>
> Did you compile a kernel that you already had on the system with the
> same version #?
>
> If so, you need to mv /lib/modules/2.x.y /lib/modules/2.x.y-old
> (where x and y are the kernel version numbers)
>
> before doing a make modules_install.

> I'd be surprised if the kernel compile HOWTO doesn't cover this.
>
> HTH,
> Dave

Bob Hartung
www.radiologygrouppc.com