On 20 Dec 2000 23:59:42 +0100, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Jason Costomiris wrote:
>
> > I'm sure it's likely to appear in Rawhide shortly, but what are the odds
> > of seeing an errata release for Guinness?
>
> Not too good right now - 4.0.2 is in our internal tree already, and there
> are quite a number of problems that need to be fixed first.
> For example, using some TrueType fonts in 4.0.2 can crash xfs.
>
> >  I've got a new ThinkPad T21
> > that I'd love to dual boot w/RH7, but am just waiting for the packages
> > for XFree86 4.0.2 to become available.
>
> I've put the current package on ftp://ftp.bero.org/pub/experimental/ for
> those who want to play (and help fix bugs ;) ).

Thanks Bero!

I installed those RPM's onto my ThinkPad 770X with Trident 9397DVD and
1280 LCD panel.
I got some errors on install with regard to xkb, but was able to fix
those manually.

With 4.01 I was able to run in 640, 800, 1024 and 1280 resolutions in
all colour depths, both on the LCD and external monitors (even with high
refresh), but had to disable video acceleration (NoMMIO option in config
file) to prevent a total system hang on Xserver startup.

Now with 4.02 I finally have video acceleration!

The only option for the card I still have in my config file is VideoRam
8192, as for some reason otherwise it correctly detects 8MB, but then
proceeds with telling me that it is going to use only 4MB. Setting that
option forces it to use the full range.

Perhaps it is possible for the next release of RedHat to use >=4.02 as
the default Xserver for these Trident chips, instead of 3.3.6 as RH 7
currently does?