Philippe

This is an FAQ. It has been covered before on this list several times. and
I believe is also on the Red Hat site as well.

You need to first upgrade to rpm-3.05.*

Then it can install rpm-4.0.* just fine

BTW, this is *not* a stupid question, and is clearly a sticky problem that
would be nice if it didn't exist.  But I think your bias against Red
Hat/7.0/whatever shows in your less than constructive comments in this and
other threads. Your message below is much more approriate a way to get
help, and I hope you will see that it is a better way to approach your
problems (hence my taking the time to answer).

charles