On 25-Dec-2000 Mike McNally opined:

>> The PATH variable in /etc/profile is usually one of them. That
>> requires
>> either a reboot or a logout/login to reset the variable.
>
> REBOOT!?!  Ack, bite your tongue!! :-)

I think I said (correct my above quoting if I'm wrong) reboot or.....
Both work. Logout/login is more desirable.

> All you really need to do (unless your /etc/profile and/or your
> .profile,
> wherever you choose to put your PATH setting, is really weird) is
> source
> the file.  Thus if your PATH is indeed set up in /etc/profile (and that
> kinda creeps me out, but that's just me) then:
>
> % . /etc/profile
>
> will do the trick.  Or of course you can change the setup file and then
> manually re-set your PATH variable on the command line.

True, unless you updated it all in a term window and want to make it
apply to everything. Sourcing in a term window will last until one
closes the term window. A logout/login gets it all, as does getting out
of X, sourcing /etc/profile, then getting back in X.

The only problem I have with sourcing is that it tends to duplicate the
entire PATH and add it onto the one that already exists. Not really a
problem but, doing it the other ways prevents an extremely long $PATH
variable if one desires to look at it.

--
There are 3 kinds of people - men, women and unix.