Huiyuan Ma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Huiyuan Ma wrote:
> > > I wonder when . /etc/profile is executed except I
> > run
> > > it explicitly?
> > /etc/profile is run when you log into your account,
> > followed by
> > ~/.bash_profile. You don't need to run .
> > /etc/profile  manually.
>

> But I've tried, when I logged in and run it,and the
> next time,if I don't manally run it,the path I set in
> it doesn't work! Why?

Next time .. what?   Are you saying you log in once and it works.  You
logout and log back in and it doesn't work?

Here is one way to be sure what is called and when:
  (Note: the lines should be removed or commented once you've seen
  what gets called and when.)

Put a line in each shell init file (/etc/profile /etc/bashrc ~/.bash_profile ~/.bashrc)

Something like this:

    echo "Hello from ... FILENAME"

Where FILENAME is the name of the init file.

Now when you log in you should see that message from each file that is
called when you login.  Something like:

Hello from ... /etc/profile
Hello from ... /etc/bashrc
Hello from ... ~/.bashrc
Hello from ... ~/.bash_profile

Use this same technique to discover what path your script sees when it
runs by putting:

  echo $PATH

near the top.  When the script is executed it will print
the path it sees.

> Besides,my perl program is running into infinite
> loop,it fully occupies the source,and the terminal
> even couldn't be open.How to stop it?
> Thanks!

I'm not sure what you describing above... do you think it is related
to /etc/profile somehow?