Well, statd has had multiple exploits over the years.  There is a statd exploit that
works with rh 6.0/6.1/6.2 and RedHat has released a fixed statd for this.  Don't think
you are just being targeted.  I'm sure everybody else in your subnet was scanned for
the same thing.  Its pretty common for kiddies to scan large amounts of ips for
vulnerable services.

Jeremiah Johnson
Linux Security Analyst
Penguin Computing