On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Steve Kesler wrote:

> I inserted RH7 CD4 into my server and have been trying to install the Apache source
>(rpm -ivh apache-1.3.12-25.src.rpm).  I see the hash marks like it installs but when
>I query (rpm -qa | grep apache) it is not installed.  Any ideas?  I want to recompile
>the server with LDAP support.

Installing the source won't update your rpm database, which only stores
the binary packages you've installed.

It has installed the source tar, patches, and compile scripts into the
/usr/src/redhat directory. You can extract the source by hand to your
directory of choice and apply the patches you want and compile as you
wish, or you can modify the apache.spec file and build a new RPM that fits
your needs.

If all you are looking for is LDAP authentication support, RedHat
distributes that along with RH7 as the auth_ldap package. If you are
looking to add some other type of LDAP support, you might consider
installing the apache-devel package and building your module as a DSO.

thornton