Hi Tatiana,

> I have an RH7 linux box into a large WINNT4.0 LAN.
> There is a WINNT dhcp server (IP private 172.20...)
> that give me an IP address at bootup. Actually my
> linux box has no name (the file hosts has only
> localhost and localdomain). I want to install an email
> server on this linux box but I don't know how to give
> a name to my linux box that can be recognize
> everywhere. Suppose my real domain is
> companydomain.ro.
> Is there anyone that could help me.

I don't like the idea of servers having IP assigned by DHCP. I'd tell you to fix an IP
address on the Linux box, of course choosing an address out of the range assigned to
the DHCP server.

Windows machines will recognize the computer name of your linux server if you run
Samba on it. Then your Linux server will be shown on Windows network neighborhood and
Windows machines will be able to connect to your Linux server using its hostname from
aby app.

Unix mail servers use to rely on DNS. It is not really necessary, as you can point you
e-mail reader (like Outlook Express) to the Linux box as the smtp and pop3 server by
its IP or its host name (since you've configured Samba) and send e-mail to
user@servername.

If you configure DNS you'll be able to send e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or whatever you
name your DNS domain (please note that a DNS domain is *not* the same as a NT domain).
The DNS server needs to have an MX record pointing to your linux mail server, and all
workstations need to know the DNS server IP and DNS domain name (this can be provided
as DHCP options)

Anyway you'll need to uncomment the pop3 line on /etc/inetd.conf so the POP3 service
is enabled, and you'll have to install imapd*.rpm (yes, the imap daemon is also the
pop3 daemon).

Two interesting add-ons (for advanced users, as they are not currently configurable
via linuxconf or webmin) are pam_smb, so you users can use the NT domain password to
login on Linux pop3 server, and OpenLDAP, so Outlook can find people on Linux as it
can on Exchange.

[]s, Fernando Lozano