John and others who replied.

Thanks for the comments.

The problem actually had to do with a NT util called "Time Sync".  I have a
util called Tardis running on my single dedicated NT box.  This util runs as a
service and keeps the system time on that machine in sync with the atomic
clock.  Obviously an NT version of rdate, but it runs as a backgroud process and
does so without fault.  All my other systems, laptop included are dual boot
NT/Linux systems.  On the NT side of all these machines I run another NT util
called "Time Sync".  This keeps the system clock in sync with the clock on the
dedicated NT box that is in sync with the atomic clock.  When booted into
Linux the Linux system clock just gets its time from the same source and all is
well.

Well somehow "Time Sync" appears to be broke on the Think Pad.  Whenever it
tries to resync with the LAN the date gets set back to sometime in 1999 and the
time to something incorrect.  Since I am on the Linux side 90% of the time I
did not discover this problem till yesterday.  Removing this util from the
Laptop and using the rdate util suggested my Mr Aldrich takes care of the
problem.

Sorry for the confusion.
Peace
john

On 03-Jan-01 John Aldrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Jan 2001, John N. Alegre wrote:
>> I am running RedHat 6.1/6.2 on two towers and a Think Pad.  Both the towers
>> switched the year just fine, but the laptop booted Monday morning with a
>> date
>> in 1999 and a time seven hours off.  I used the control-panel time machine
>> and
>> changed the date and time and selected "Set System Time".
>>
>> After I rebooted the date was correct but the time changes back to the
>> incorrect
>> 7 hours ahead.  I have tried a a few more times and the time does not hold
>> past
>> reboot.
>>
>> Can anyone help?  Is there a way to set date from the command line?  Why
>> would
>> this only happen on the laptop?
>>
> A good util is "rdate" to sync your pc clock with an atomic
> clock over the 'Net. I use time.nist.gov or
> tock.usno.navy.mil personally. The command I use is as
> follows:
> rdate -s -p <servername>
> The options are -s (SET the time) and -p (PRINT the time so
> you know it's actually corrected! <G>) Then, as someone has
> suggested later, as root, run hwclock --systohc.
>    John

E-Mail: John N. Alegre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03-Jan-01
Time: 21:32:26

This message was sent by XFMail