On Sun, 24 Dec 2000, Justin Zygmont wrote:

> you're lucky you didn't get the error messages I got when I tried to
> upgrade from 6 to 6.2 and then 7.0.  I don't trust upgrades anymore.. I
> suspect my CD-ROM may have had a part to play.

Huh.  You should try just upgrading the kernel.  It was just as
finicky.  I just finished an upgrading process that took two days
to complete.  All during the compiling process, I kept getting
signal 11, 5, and 6.  But fortunately, the compiling process
could remember what it had already compiled just before each
crash, and picked up where it left off and eventually it finished
successfully.  I'm still testing various things, like mounting
various filesystems and trying out the Zip drive again, but so
far so good.  However I must have re-executed commands like 'make
bzImage' and 'make modules' at least hundred times before it
could complete the process without crashing.

Guess I really needed that upgrade huh?  Hopefully, the memory
(RAM) handling is a little better with the newer kernel...

PS:

When you 'upgrade', select RH's normal 'Install' menu option, and
just don't format over your /home partition.  It gets even easier
if you have /usr/local on a separate partition, but that's
probably asking too much.  Just back up /usr/local if you've
installed tarball-based software (not RPMs) from various
non-redhat sites.