Thanks to all who replied.  It's still not working.  Here is a re-cap
and what I've tried:

Sound was lost after upgrading from RH6.1 to RH7.0.  Kernel *was*
upgraded to 2.2.16-22 at that time.  Modutils were also upgraded
(2.3.21-1).

conf.modules was renamed to modules.conf.  Other modules listed in this
file are loading, but not sound.  During boot, I get the errors:

>> modprobe: Can't locate module cs4232
>> rc.sysinit: Loading sound module (cs4232):  failed
>>
>> modprobe: Can't locate module opl3
>> rc.sysinit: Loading midi module (opl3):  failed

When I run sndconfig, it complains:

>> "You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled.
>> (soundcore.o was not found in the module search path)."

soundcore.o *is* located /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/.  (Thanks to Larry
Grover for suggesting I check that.)  cs4232.o and op13.o are also in
this directory.  Which begs the question, why isn't modprobe locating
these modules on bootup?  (It *is* locating and loading the modules for
my scsi and ethernet cards, which are located in
/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/scsi and .../net, respectively.)

I'm at a loss.  Any ideas what else I might try?  Oh- one more thing:
how to tell definitively which kernel is running?  The reason I ask, >>
cat /etc/issue returns:

Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness)
Kernel 2.2.12-20 on an i586
(new Red Hat, but old kernel)

likewise, >> uname -r says:  2.2.12-20

However, >> rpm -q kernel says:  kernel-2.2.16-22

and lilo.conf is definitely pointing to the new image:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.16-22.img

So I *am* running the new kernel, right?  Sorry this is so long.  TIA,

Joe