[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I installed the rawhide RPM's for the 2.4.0 kernel and XFree86-4.0.2-0.2
>into a fully updated RH7.0 machine and everything just rocks... there

So just follow the usual instructions for upgrading XFree and kernel
RPMs?  Cool!

>was a minor issue with the kernel... I run and boot off of IDE disks...
>The only SCSI is simulated so that my cd-burner will work... On the
>first 2.4 boot-up after install I got a vfs kernel panic. I fixed it by
>running mkinitrd and all is well! I suppose I could find and fix the
>problem but a ramdisk is simple and doesn't bother me as a fix! :-)

This is SOP for RH production kernels.  The SCSI controller driver is
modular in the production kernels and in order for them to load properly
when booting SCSI, the ramdisk is required to make the drivers available
to the boot code.  Fixing the problem involves a kernel recompile to
turn off or unmodularize SCSI support as appropriate.  If SCSI support
is compiled in or left out, then no ramdisk is needed.

                Matthew Saltzman
                Clemson University Math Sciences
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs