On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Ragnar Wiencke wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I got a problem here with ssh2 on a RH 62 box. I installed the
> ssh-2.3.0-1.i386.rpm and the installation went ok with no errors.
> On the NT4 box I got TTSSH Teraterm Secure Shell extension, version 1.5.1.
> >From there I can login with Telnet on port 23, but when try to login with
> SSH on port 22 the the terminal just hangs.
> Can anyone help me out here.
> Thanks in advance,
> Ragnar W.

Hmm... I've had it hang logging out but never logging in so I can't help you
there.  Some things you might try though to try see what's happening.  The
secure shell daemon has a verbose debug mode.  Shut down your main ssh
daemon...
         service sshd stop

...and run sshd from the command line in it's 'one shot' debug mode...

        sshd -d

... then try your login and see what it's up to when your incoming
connection gets stuck.  For purposes of comparison I've included a debug
session of me logging via the loopback with my password then logging
straight back out again.

M.

bash# sshd -d
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
debug1: Seeding random number generator
debug1: read DSA private key done
debug1: Seeding random number generator
debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
debug1: Seeding random number generator
debug1: Seeding random number generator
RSA key generation complete.
debug1: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from 127.0.0.1 port 961
debug1: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
debug1: no match: OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
debug1: Local version string SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
debug1: Sent 768 bit public key and 1024 bit host key.
debug1: Encryption type: 3des
debug1: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug1: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug1: Starting up PAM with username "matthewm"
debug1: Attempting authentication for matthewm.
Failed rsa for matthewm from 127.0.0.1 port 961
Failed rsa for matthewm from 127.0.0.1 port 961
debug1: PAM Password authentication accepted for user "matthewm"
Accepted password for matthewm from 127.0.0.1 port 961
debug1: PAM setting rhost to "localhost"
debug1: session_new: init
debug1: session_new: session 0
debug1: Allocating pty.
debug1: Received authentication agent forwarding request.
debug1: fd 8 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: fd 8 IS O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 0: new [auth socket]
debug1: PAM setting tty to "/dev/pts/8"
debug1: PAM establishing creds
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: fd 7 IS O_NONBLOCK
debug1: server_init_dispatch_13
debug1: server_init_dispatch_15
debug1: Setting controlling tty using TIOCSCTTY.
debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug1: Received SIGCHLD.
debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 1 mili 100
debug1: End of interactive session; stdin 5, stdout (read 363, sent 363),
stderr 0 bytes.
debug1: channel_free: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:

debug1: Command exited with status 0.
debug1: Received exit confirmation.
debug1: session_pty_cleanup: session 0 release /dev/pts/8
Closing connection to 127.0.0.1
bash#

--
WebCentral Pty Ltd           Australia's #1 Internet Web Hosting Company
Level 1, 96 Lytton Road.           Network Operations - Systems Engineer