Thanks!

I appreciate the reasoned summaries of the debates.  The loudest complaints
I've heard have come from slashdot, and I expect them to scream just for the
sake of screaming sometimes.  But since the problem was centered around such a
vital component as the c compiler, I want to be sure.

>From the gnu site, and this still has me cautious:

"Please note that both GCC 2.96 and 2.97 are development versions; we do not recommend
using them for production purposes.
Binaries built using any version of GCC 2.96 or 2.97 will not be portable to
systems based on one of our regular releases."

The portability I can live with, since, as one of you said, this is true of any
gcc release until a standard for the c++ ABI is set (and probably afterwards
since standards are by nature a work in progress).  The "we do not recommend
... production purposes," is what has me anxious.  Any comments?

--
Jacob Killian PGTC
System Administrator

</mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>