>Well, this has happened to me a few times now. Once I tried to use the
machine
>and all it did was give me this errors. Dumped those messages to all of the
>vt's so I couldn't write any commands. All I could do was a cold reboot.

That can happen, you would have had to telnet in and start killing processes
and free up space. You should be able to set each of the offending utilities
not to log errors to /dev/console. e.g. change the /etc/syslog.conf file.
For a better understanding of what's going on have a look in
/usr/src/linx-2.?.??/mm/ specifically at vmscan.c, the sections that call
do_try_to_free_pages().
        Also take a look at swap.c, the location for documentation for VM
tuning is in this code.

>Any ideas where I could find these patches?

hmm couldn't find any on http://linuxvm.org/patches although it does make
for interesting reading, so I may have been wrong about that one. Although
there have been various patches for VM in the past by Rik van Riel and
others. If you trawl through the linux-kernel archive you'll find quite a
few of them . . .
        I'll leave further searching to your good self as there is alot of
information out there on the subject. A page is about 1 or 2k ... ? What
kernel version are you currently running ?Apparantly 2.2.17pre9 fixes
everything:)

steve