On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Curt Seeliger wrote:

> Folks,
>
> If a security patch is required for the C library, this seems to imply
> that all applications compiled against the library require
> recompilation.  Am I mistaken, or do I have a whole lotta work ahead of
> me?

Nope.  The only programs that require recompilation are the staticly
linked ones.  Almost all applications are dynamicly linked to the
libraries, so updating the library is all you need to do.  An easy way
to tell is to look at the REQUIRENAME section of the RPM.  If it
requires libc.so.6, it is dynamicly linked to the C library.

> Second, since I'm running 6.2, I'm looking for the appropriate patches
> (I've only seen them for 7.0).  Is there some reason why 6.2 would be
> unpatched -- is it, as far as the vulnerabilities fixed by these
> pathces go, more secure than 7.0?
>
> Thanks for your feedback,
>
> cur

Redhat 6.X and 7.0 use different versions of the C library.  Different
bugs...

Mikkel