I have a bunch of old 3com 3c509 etherlink III combo cards that I use (and a
couple of ne2000 compatibles)

Yes, I use 10base2 (bnc coax) at only 10Mbps...  It's fast enough for me.  I
have also found that slower machines (ie 486dx4-100 & slower) actually have
an upper end of about 2Mbps - CPU limited, interestingly enough...