Hmmm, I did not expect to see such a huge response on the morality of
blocking e-mails containing certain attachments.

Thanks Chuck, for the procmail recipe. I'll try it out when I get to the
office tomorrow.

I think I should perhaps give some background, and to justify the reasons
for this harsh move:

We currently run 2 virus scanners on our e-mail server (Mcafee and HBEDV).
Both virus scanners scan incoming e-mail, while only one scans outgoing
mail. We update the Mcafee virus signature files daily, but this is only a
method of prevention. If a virus is released into the "wild", before the
antiviral programs have been updated, you have a good chance of being hit.

Our mail server handles about 70000 received mails and 58000 sent mails per
month. This means that our chances of infection are quite high.

If we are struck by a virus, and it is sent to just half of my internal PC
network, I would be in deep trouble. This scenario happened on Friday (2
Feb). Our antiviral software for some reason did not pick up the Hybris
virus, and before we knew it had the PC's where infected by over zealous
users trying to help each other view the "mighty dwarfs". This resulted in
us shutting down our mail server for 2 days while we ran virus scans on all
our PC's and checked that all was in order. The cost of this exercise cannot
be measure.

So, to those who value their own privacy, while on company time and company
property (including PC's and Internet access), Bah. If I can reduce the risk
of future exposure to viruses by blocking or deleting attachments that could
contain viruses, then I'll do it!

Having said that, I too am a reasonable person, and understand that not all
attachments are dangerous. Hence I would only prevent file types that could
be launched by the browser, e-mail, or just by double clicking on it.
Chuck's solution is a good compromise!  :->

Thanks for the thoughts
Regards
Enrico