Harry Putnam wrote:

> I'm probably missing the boat here but efax.com looks like a bunch of
> complicated cumbersome bullshit, where I use there fax sending equip.
>
> I want to use my own, but I want to look at samples of the finished
> product before and after sending.
>
> My question is, how to send a fax to myself using a single phone line.
> Maybe that is not possible... I don't know, but before getting knee
> deep in some third party baloney, I'd like to know the answer to that.

I haven't looked into efax, so I don't know what kind of service they
offer.  But if you think about it a moment, you'll consider that a
fax-fax transfer is in real time.  You can't pick up a phone and call
yourself at the number your calling from.  So the short answer to your
question is no.  You can't do it if all you have is one phone line and
one fax machine/computer. There are specific pieces of telco test
equipment you could use though.

What you might try, however, is to check the outgoing fax queue and
examine its contents.  The generated file may be postscript or maybe a
tif file, so perhaps for the sake of checking what your outgoing faxes
look like you could try that.

Another solution that seems simple enough is to find a local biz,
perhaps right next door, that would permit you to fax something to
them so that you could retrieve the output?

Barry