On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, John Nelson wrote:

> Let's say that I'm running 6.2 on one of these chips (well any chip), can
> I successfully upgrade 6.2 to 7.0 using up2date?  I've heard a lot of
> horror stories on this mailing list concerning installation of 7.0 so I'm
> reluctant to do it.

Not using up2date, no.  Up2date does not currently handle full system
upgrades or kernel upgrades (that functionality is on the way).

Also, there are some things you need to be aware of before upgrading your
6.2 configuration via the CD.  There were some fairly major changes in 7.0
(glibc jump, xinetd, and of course the compiler) and the configuration you
have set up on your 6.2 box may or may not upgrade cleanly.  Set aside
some time for dealing with issues caused by the upgrade, and new
configurations that you will have to set up (i.e. xinetd).

Matt

--
Matt Drew
Executive Officer