amk>     Another question (first one was X Install)...  I just installed a
amk> SCSI tape in this machine (running RH6.2).  The system's SCSI card sees
amk> it, all is well - however:

amk>     [root@c41:~]# mt -f /dev/st0 status
amk>     SCSI 2 tape drive:
amk>     File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
amk>     Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
amk>     Soft error count since last status=0
amk>     General status bits on (10000):
amk>      IM_REP_EN

amk>     [root@c41:~]# mt -f /dev/st0 retension
amk>     /dev/st0: Input/output error

amk>     [root@c41:~]# mt -f /dev/st0 tell
amk>     /dev/st0: Input/output error

amk>     Okay.  What am I missing?

All of these commands are not always recoginized  by the drive,
however some like status, rewind, offline, retension should be
recoginzed.

Since your drive is  recoginzed by the scsi card and the status
command seems to work it would seem to me that maybe something
is wrong with the drive itself.
Have you tested the 'rewind' and 'offline' commands both with
a tape in the drive of course.
If these don't work, what does your device file /dev/st0 look like:

crw-rw----    1 root     disk       9,   0 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/st0

If this is correct how about putting the drive in another machine
to test it ?

--
Ray Curtis         Unix Programmer/Consultant   Curtis Consulting
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        http://www.clark.net/pub/ray