On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 07:48:10 Kiran Kumar M wrote:

> >I have a file with characters might be carriage returns. The file looks
> >like the following (I opened it in vi)
> >
> > ^M                                            ^Maaaa
> > ^M                                            ^Mbbbb
> > ^M                                            ^Mcccc
> >
> >I want to convert to
> >
> >aaaa
> >bbbb
> >cccc
> >
> >I want to omit the extra characters..
>
> So open the file in vi/vim and use the "x" key to delete the unwanted characters,
>then "ZZ" to save and quit.

Yeah, but like if you have 20 pages of this in your vi screen...who
wants to do that?

I think if you vi your file and do:

ESC shift ! G sed -e 's/ctrlv controlm//g'

you will get what you want. This will replace each '^M'.

This is hard to describe, but holding down the control key and hitting
v, then hitting control m is the magic you need to find all the stupid
carriage returns in your file.

Hope it helps and does what you want!

Phil