Hello all, I upgraded my RH 7.0 machine's kernel from 2.2.16-22 to 2.2.17-14
using binary RPMs from RH.  However, since doing that, I have not been able
to run mkinitrd, it always complains "all loopback devices are in use".
Following suggestions from this list, I tried modprobe loop but it says
"Can't locate module loop".  Unfortunately, I did an upgrade, not a install,
with the binary RPMs.  However, I was lucky enough to have made a boot
floppy that I am now using to boot the machine.

Having failed with the kernel upgrade, I am now trying to compile the
sources for the 2.2.17-14 kernel.  I installed the sources from the kernel
source RPMs.  However, whenever I try to run make menuconfig, it bombs with
the following error

"dialog.h:29:20: curses.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [lxdialog.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.17/scripts/lxdialog'
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2"

I am pretty sure that my system is fully patched as far as non-kernel things
go, since I use RH's up2date on a weekly basis.  Could anyone offer any
suggestions as to what might be wrong with:

1)  mkinitrd bombing with the loopback device error.

2)  What am I missing in getting make menuconfig to run?

Thanks in advance for any help,
--Moby