I run Guiness (RH 7.0) on a high-end workstation with 256 MB of RAM, but I
still have performance problems (heavy swapping) if I have more than three
applications open. I modified the lilo.conf file to reflect the high amount
of available RAM. (NOTE: I boot Linux from a diskette, since I have 2 OSs on
this machine and haven't taken the time to sort out the MBR yet.) The
lilo.conf file now reads:

boot=/dev/fd0
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
prompt
image=/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda7
        initrd=/initrd.img
append="mem=256M"

I got the append line option from a HOWTO on one of the popular Linux sites.

However, I am still experiencing heavy swapping and the 'free' command shows
that I have a total of only 62 MB of RAM.

How do I adjust memory management to reflect the actual amount of available
RAM?

John Reese