If he wasn't very smart check your /var/log/messages file.  Also check
/var/log/secure.  See if you can find where he came in.  Perhaps
examining the other processes running (shell scripts) you "may" find
some more clues.

If he was a "smart" hacker then the logs have been cleaned and anything
he is running probably won't give much info.  tcpdump is probably your
best bet for catching him though I wouldn't want the machine running any
longer than necessary on a network I own.  Even if you did catch where
it came from most likely those systems are also comprimised computers
and he's remote controlling them.

Personally I would cut my losses, reinstall and get all the patches in
place.  It's a sick world we live in :-(

Frank