> I've noticed something strange.  If I'm logged in for awhile, and it
matters
> not if I'm logged in as root or using my personal login, the characters in
> the GUI apps such as netscape, or the panel icon descrtiptions will begin
> lose pixels or seem for distort.  Characters in graphical images, such as
in
> some webpages are OK.  The longer time goes on, the more distorted the
> characters appear.
>
> If I log off and then immediately back on, the character set is restored.
> My version of XFree is 4.0.1 and is as it came with RH7.0.

Could be a bad driver set, or a not-so-true S3 reference board.
BUT: One thing I would do (especially if it is a Trio 3D x2) - is to look at
the Xfree homepage under FAQs.

I vaguely remember having to set some 'tweak' setting in the config file
regarding the Timing chip on the card to get it to work properly with X.

Mine was on an Octek Reference Board.

--
Edward Dekkers (Director)
Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.