On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 09:17:53PM -0500, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 12:01:37PM -0500, Michael George wrote:
>: I'm running RHL 7.0 on a couple systems here and I have a question about
>: XFree86.  According to rpm and the 7.0 CD-ROM, I have the following installed:
>:
>: XFree86-libs-4.0.1-1
>: XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.0.1-1
>: XFree86-twm-4.0.1-1
>: XFree86-4.0.1-1
>: XFree86-devel-4.0.1-1
>: XFree86-tools-4.0.1-1
>: XFree86-xdm-4.0.1-1
>: XFree86-xfs-4.0.1-1
>: XFree86-Mach64-3.3.6-33
>:
>: I see that most of the X11 packages are 4.0.1, but the X servers (I only have
>: the Mach64 installed) are 3.3.6.
>
> The servers are part of the XFree86 package.  No need to run the 3.3.6
> servers..  XFree86-4 uses a modular X server.  One server, many possible
> modules to load.

So does that mean that my 7.0 systems aren't really using the XFree86-Mach64
packages?  If that's the case, why did the install/upgrade install it?  And
why do I have /etc/X11/XF86Config and /etc/X11/XF86Congig-4?

I guess that's what I'm after is a document that kinda explains how to go from
3.3.6 to 4.0.1.  Is there one?

-Michael

--
No, my friend, the way to have good and safe government, is not to trust it
all to one, but to divide it among the many, distributing to every one exactly