On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Tanner, Robby wrote:

> I moved my firewall which required a reboot.
>
> I found the following line in my log, and my firewall does not seem to work.
>

> Feb 19 17:46:18 weisktsv03 kernel: Packet log: input DENY lo PROTO=1
> 24.68.176.193:3 24.68.176.193:1 L=132 S=0xC0 I=4058 F=0x0000 T=255 (#13)
>
> What could be wrong?  Why is 24.68.176.193 trying to connect to itself fro
> port 3 to port 1?

Even more interesting, it is talking to itself on the loopback device,
not on a NIC...  I would check your routing table first, then your
firewall rules.  One thing that makes it hard to troubleshoot is that
when you are doing masquarding, the forwarding rule has changed the
input IP to that of the firewall before the packet is trapped by the
output rules.  So we have no idea on where the packet came from.  We do
know it is trying to come back into the machine on the loopback
interface.

Mikkel