just RTFM and you'll see that the -u flag is only available with linux for
kernels > 2.3.99, so just remove the "-u named" option in the startup
script and it will work

please note that the ability to switch to another user (ie named) looks
interesting for security issues, so maybe we'd have both to consider moving
to a 2.4 kernel ;-)

btw note too that named does NOT load domains which have no default TTL, so
I added a $TTL line at the beginning of every zone definition file (direct
and reverse) BUT the hints file. it just complains about an invalid ttl
value but unlike bind 8 which loaded the zone despite this lack, bind 9
just doesn't load it (a bit silently i think)

hth,

A 21:12 19/02/2001 -0500, vous avez écrit :

>Here's the problem....i've upgraded bind 8.2.2 p7 to bind 9.01,..i should
>let you know im running redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.17....anyway,..first of
>all it seems to copy the binary to /usr/local/sbin/named,..instead of
>/usr/sbin/named like with 8.2.2,..so i copied the new named binary to the
>/usr/sbin/named and ran /etc/rc.d/init.d/named start and recieved the
>following error:
>

>Shutting down named: [FAILED]
>Starting named: named: -u not supported on Linux kernels older than
>2.3.99-pre3 when using threads
>[FAILED]
>

>I have know clue why this doesn't start, does this mean i cant run BIND 9.01
>on Redhat 6.2 using kernel 2.2.17.....has anyone else had this problem??
>
>how can i fix this,..so i can start the daemon using "named -u named"
>

> An optimist believes we live in the best of all  possible worlds.  A
>pessimist is sure of it!
>

>---

Mes idees n'engagent que moi (vieux proverbe du Net)

Thierry ITTY
eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                FRANCE