On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Joseph Poplawski wrote:

> Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:28:16 -0500
> From: Joseph Poplawski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Sendmail configuration issue?
>
> Hi.
>
> I am *hoping* that someone here can help me with this problem.
>
> I am running a dedicated server running Linux 6.2.
>
> The problem I am having is related to sendmail.
>
> I am having a problem with an error "Remote host said: 554 buildaddr: no
> host" when another system tries to send a bounced email to my system.
>
> Apparently from what I have been told so far, it means that my mail server
> (sendmail on the Linux 6.2 box) is incorrectly configured to reject email
> with an empy Return-Path variable which is supposed to be against RFC rules.
> Some people have told me that this is a simple fix however they didn't
> remember what it was.
>
> My question is, how do I fix this?  I've posted this question to the
> sendmail list with no replies, so I am pretty desperate at this point.
>
> Any solutions to this would be *greatly* appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Jo Poplawski

Well, Jo.  I'm also at a loss while trying to figure out why you're getting
that message, but since you didn't seem to get a reply yet... I did a search
on the Web and found out another user who had the same problem.  According
to his message, he explained that the version of linuxconf that comes with
Red Hat 6.2 was causing the problem.  He only had to upgrade it to the
newest version, then ran "linuxconf --update", and that fixed the problem.

Let me know if that works for you too.

Nitebirdz
http://www.linuxnovice.org
News, tips, articles, links...

*** http://www.mozilla.org ***
Fight the Microsoft.Net world domination strategy!