> At 05:33 PM 2/22/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >I couldn't resist...
> >
> >/home/rmadison$ uptime
> >  5:23pm  up 155 days,  1:14,  27 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.38, 0.40
> >/home/rmadison$
> >Seriously though, I agree 100% with Gustav. I have administered some
older
> >SunOS boxes that had been up so long, that they forgot how long they had
> >been up. When I did an uptime, the Number of days field was just blank.
>
> Why didn't you just check /proc/uptime?
>
> [root@garnet /root]# cat /proc/uptime
> 4346568.00 4104071.32
>
> That's UNIX time for those who don't know. (number of seconds since
00:00:00, Jan 1, 1970)

> [root@garnet /root]# uptime
>   7:57pm  up 50 days,  7:20, 32 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Well, this is a dialect issue: Linux has a very meaningful /proc environment
where most other unix dialects only have the process information in /proc
(so all numbers representing all running process ids).
Something else: we do have one Digital Unix box in the office with an
Oracle database, that's approaching the 750 days uptime (or it has already
passed that limit)...

And one more: modern high-end Unix systems like Compaq's GS line
allow to add processors and memory on-line (just like power supplies,
disks, PCI cards etc etc etc) ending up in a non-stop computing environ-
ment (unless you really pull the plug :-)

Alex Bron