Have RH 7.0 up and running pretty good with a WinModem working just fine.  I have a sound board built into the mother board using AC 97(think that is right) sound drivers.. and VIA 86cxxx sound chip.
The CD player worked right from the beginning with no hitches but the mp3 player didn't work.. The mp3 player would load and act like it was working.  The visual sound equalizer was jumping up and down like it was playing. but no sound.  I  rebooted, then went into the CMOS  and turned on the SoundBlaster setting..and finished booting into RH 7,.0.
The sound from the XMMS player  now works good.  Alright, every thing finally works...  I went into the sound setup for KDE and turned on the sound settings and tried to check out the sounds for starting up and shutting down KDE.  Squeaky scratchy terrible sounds came from the speaker. Is there a fix for this... Is it a bug in KDE?