On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 11:59:15AM -0600, Ashish Khot wrote:
> Guys
>
> I have been trying to configure the modem for last one month but there
> is no luck. I installed Red Hat 7.0 on my PC which has a 3Com Robotics
> modem (I got the machine from Dell with Hardware Modem).
>
> The problem is Minicom does not recognize the modem. There is no dial
> tone. I tried with setserial with all the ports and interrupts..I tried
> almost 100 combinations. But no luck.
>
> Any hints will be highly appreciated.

What __I'd__ do is find a MessyDOS boot floppy and a DOS terminal program
(I'd probably use MS_Kermit, since I have it) and see if the serial port
on the modem is accessible from DOS. If not, then it won't be accessible
on Linux. I know they told you it was a hardware modem, but may be they
didn't mean what you thought they meant?

When I say "accessible from DOS", I mean if you were to use MS-Kermit,
and issue commands like these below, you would get back an "OK" from
the modem:
        c:> kermit
        set port COM1
        set speed 9600
        connect
        AT
and the modem should respond with "OK". If it does not, try:
        ATZ
then
        AT
When you tell kermit to use COM1, and if it can't find serial port hardware
at the standard COM1 address and IRQ it'll tell you.

Assuming you CAN find it with a DOS program, lets assume for the purposes
of the remainder of this discussion that it's on COM1. That's
/dev/ttyS0 on linux. You shouldn't need to do anything with setserial
at all to make it work. If it IS COM1, when booting Linux the messages
that fly by should include mention of the serial port, its kind of UART,
and other such info. Here's an excerpt from my /var/log/dmesg file:

    Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
    ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
    ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

As you can see I've got 3 serial ports, COM1(ttyS00), COM2(ttyS01), and
an internal modem on COM3(ttyS02). The only thing I have to do, later
in the boot process than the code that produced this message, is to run
setserial on ttyS02 to tell it that my modem really is IRQ5, not IRQ4
which is shown here. NOTE that running setserial does not change the
IRQ the modem uses, it only tells the kernel what the IRQ actually is
set to on the modem. Here's an entry from my /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

    setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 5

If after checking as I've described, you still can't find the modem,
then it's either broken, or it's not a real hardware modem.

Another thing to examine is to do:

        cat /proc/interrupts

I get this result:

 cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:   17540067          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      72711          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:          3          XT-PIC  serial   <=========
  4:     388724          XT-PIC  serial   <=========
  5:       5936          XT-PIC  serial   <=========
  8:       1281          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:    3388579          XT-PIC  es1371
 12:      46668          XT-PIC  eth0
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     746831          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     571633          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

note the 3 marked lines which are what the kernel believes I have
for serial ports.

Good luck!

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------