Here's a good question: Has anyone experienced a problem (or have a
solution) connecting to the AIM (AOL Instant Messager) service or a
problem getting any data from the server after establishing a connection,
while running kernel 2.4?

I have the problem described above, but until I used 2.4.1 a week or two
ago, I figured it went along with my other network problems with kernel
2.4. Starting with 2.4.1, I was able to communicate with hosts that I
wasn't able to with 2.4.0-test or release. I don't have problems with
2.2.x (so that's what I'm using), but 2.4.0 gave me network troubles which
I couldn't ignore. I tried 2.4.1 and found things to much better (at least
to the point which I ventured off to), except for the AIM issue which I
have seen since the 2.4.0-test kernels or there abouts (I don't do the
development branches).

I use gaim, but I have also used Tac (not the utility which comes with
the RH distro) which doesn't get far either. Eventually Tac exits saying
the connection closed.

Ideas?:)

-Statux