I dn't think you're going to get a whole lot cheaper, unless you build it
from components you already have around.

Hard drives go for about $150, Cases for about 65, motherboards are
$75-100, RAM is $30 or so for 64MB, processors are not cheap, either.

Those barebones systems are coming that cheap because the companies (like
Tiger Direct) are buying them or the components in bulk, and getting
severe discounts on them.