John C. Flohr wrote:
> "Last time I checked, Dell and others were the same as IBM."
>
> Classic Microsoft bashing here - no idea what you're talking about!
>
> Go into the Dell website, select small business, notebooks and Inspiron
> 8000, customize.  There you are presented with two tabs Windows System
> and
> Linux System - take your pick!
[...]

There's something else at work.

#1 -- Big computer dealers think Linux won't sell to Joe Q. Public, so
you won't find Linux in the "Home Computer" section of their websites.
Some computer dealers deliberately do NOT offer certain configurations to
individuals.  Individuals get Windows.  Notice that on the site you went to
above, you went to "Small Business", not "Home & Home Office".

#2 -- Big computer dealers want to sell the latest and greatest features,
and do not want to put an OS on the system that doesn't support it.  Would
you want your laptop to come pre-installed with Linux only to find that
the video chipset isn't supported in X and the soundcard won't work?
For an example, you can't get a Dimension 8100 with Linux, but you can get
a Dimension 4100.  Why?  Dunno myself, but I suspect it's a feature-support
thing.

-W-