Living Dead wrote:

> Is it possible to compile a single kernel module?

YES!!!!

> How?

Oh... so demanding...

Each feature of the kernel that can be compiled as a module has its own
subdirectory in the source tree.  Assuming that you've already prepped
and compiled a kernel from your standing source tree, you can just

make [x|menu]config

...and turn on the module that you didn't turn on before;

make dep
[make clean is probably optional here, I doubt that it matters]

Then cd to the subdirectory where the module source lives and just type
"make".

You should get a module_name.o file.  Copy that to the appropriate place
under /lib/modules/`uname -r`, run depmod -a, and you should be in
business.

CAVEAT: I have not done this myself in a really long time, so I'd
appreciate a word back if this still works, or if I've left
out/misstated any details.

Cheers,
-m

--
Michael Jinks, IB // Technical Entity // Saecos Corporation
Opinions expressed above are my own, and not those of my employer.