mjs wrote:

> I'm running openssh on my rh box, is it possible for me to change the port
> to 23 instead of 22 ??,

Yep.  Check out the sshd_config and ssh_config files.

> will this be a security issue,...my work won't allow
> port 22, so I cant secureCRT in to my box...

Funny.  They'll allow telnet, but not ssh.  Go understand the corporate
mentality.

But I digress.

No, this shouldn't be a security issue in the commonly-understood sense
of that phrase.  Using nonstandard ports might be a maintenance issue if
you start doing this on a wider scale than just one machine that you're
responsible for, but there's nothing special about one port over another
beyond the privileged/non-privileged borderline at 1024.

That said, in my experience when people have to use a non-standard port
for a service, they generally use something in the non-privileged range
(somewhere over port number 1024).  Avoids stepping on the toes of other
services just in case it ever matters.

--
Michael Jinks, IB // Technical Entity // Saecos Corporation
Opinions expressed above are my own, and not those of my employer.