On Sat, 03 Mar 2001 01:56:31 -0500, Dominic Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have configured my sound card with sndconfig and it works
> correctly.  However I have these entries in /var/log/messages that
> appears once in a while.  I am running kernel-2.2.17-14 on RH6.2
> up to date.\
>
> Mar  2 23:49:50 rlevesque modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
> Mar  2 23:49:50 rlevesque modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-1-0

To fix this you will need to add a line or lines to your /etc/modules.conf file.  I
can't help you with the specifics (I don't know what sound card you're using, and even
if I did, I probably wouldn't be familiar with it).  But, you can find some
information to help you in the kernel docs (/usr/share/cod/kernel-doc.../sound, if you
run RH7, or /usr/doc/kernel.../sound on RH6.2, or if you have the kernel source,
/usr/src/linux.../Documentation/sound).

------------------------

Quoting from the /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/Introduction on my laptop:

Module Loading:
===============

When a sound card is first referenced and sound is modular the sound system
will ask for the sound devices to be loaded. Initially it requests that
the driver for the sound system is loaded. It then wwill ask for
sound-slot-0, where 0 is the first sound card. (sound-slot-1 the second and
so on). Thus you can do

alias sound-slot-0 sb

To load a soundblaster at this point. If the slot loading does not provide
the desired device - for example a soundblaster does not directly provide
a midi synth in all cases then it will request "sound-service-0-n" where n
is

0       Mixer

2       MIDI

3, 4    DSP audio

For More Information (RTFM):
============================
1)  Information on kernel modules:  linux/Documentation/modules.txt
    and manual pages for insmod and modprobe.

2)  Information on PnP, RTFM manual pages for isapnp.

3)  Sound-HOWTO and Sound-Playing-HOWTO.

4)  OSS's WWW site at http://www.opensound.com.

5)  All the files in linux/Documentation/sound.

6)  The comments and code in linux/drivers/sound.

7)  The sndconfig and rhsound documentation from Red Hat.

8)  The Linux-sound mailing list:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

9)  Enlightenment documentation (for info on esd)
    http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html.

10) ALSA home page:  http://www.alsa-project.org/

So, you will need something like this in your modules.conf file:

alias sound-slot-1 your-module-here
alias sound-service-1-0 your-module-here

What you substitute for "your-module-here" depends one what your hardware is.

--
Larry Grover, PhD
Assoc Prof of Physiology