Thanks to all that answered!
  I did a little work around with the partitions.  Never
could get the Mandrake 7.2 to install and finally got RH 7.0
installed.  I did have several tries to get it right and on
three or four occasions the boot loader from the install
disk hung at cdrom identificiation - but when it counted it
went ahead.  I am having some problem with the X-Server but
I will get that ironed out when I figure out why Mach64
server did not install.

  For the record, I do not recall having the option of
turning on LBA support and I just left linear support in
its' default state.  I may yet wipe the whole install and
reinstall both RH and Win2000 just for the "fun of it" (?)
if my wife doesn't trash the notebook sitting on the coffee
table first.

  I would also note that installing RH7 was more painful
than installing RH6.2 on this notebook and I would not have
undertaken this task if I didn't need a significantly larger
HD.  Also note that Dell was some $100 less expensive for
the IBM 30GB notebook drive than CDW.

Thanks to all,

Bob