On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Darko Stankovic wrote:
[snip]
> Hello,
>
> I ran rpm -Va and a got a couple of files in that listing, and here is a
> couple:
>
> /etc/services, /usr/local/lib, /dev/log, /dev/pts, dev/tty0123456,
> /usr/sbin/in.fingered,
> /etc/inittab, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, /sbin/ifconfig, /etc/inted.conf,
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet,
> /usr/sbin/syslogd, /bin/login, /usr/crontab
>
> My major concern is modification of /etc/login file, since it is an
> executible. i ran it and it hung. Could this be the problem, and if yes, how
> could I replace it with a normal script ?
>
> Sorry to bother you, but if you could help me here I would greatly apreciate
> it.
>
> Thanx,
>
> Darko

Darko,
        You have some major problems.  I do not know if you corrupted
the disk when you did cut the power, or if you were hacked before you
moved the machine, and the problems didn't show up untill you rebooted.
You have several options at this point.

If you suspect your box was hacked, save your date, wipe the disk, and
re-install.

If you are sure your box was not hacked, the easyest fix is to get a
RedHat 6.2 disk, and upgrade.  The install the updates for 6.2 BEFORE
putting the server on-line.  If you have a fast Internet connection, you
can just download the net install disk image, make a floppy from it, and
upgrade the box over the net.  After the upgrade, you will have to
double check the config files, and turn back on the services you need.

The box can probably be fixed by re-installing the affected packages,
but that is a job for an expert...  I might attempt it on a local
machine as a learning experence, but I would not try it over the net, or
on a server even locally...

Mikkel