On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, mint wrote:

> when i try to install krb5 libs on linux 6.1
> I get cannot find libphp3.a skipping
>
> when I try to unistall krb5 libs it says package not installed.
>
> when I try to install krb5 it says package already installed.
>
> help I am confused

One thing to remember when working with RPMs - the file name of the file
containing the package you are installing is NOT the same as the package
name.  The RPM database contains the package names of the packages
installed, not the file name or the RPM the package was installed from.
When you are trying to uninstall a package, you have to use the package
name, not the RPM name.

This is necessary, because the file name may have to be changed because
of the file system it is stored on.  For example, take the joe editor
package.  The package name is "joe-2.8-43.62", and I installed it from
"joe-2.8-43.62.i386.rpm".  If I wanted to uninstall it, I would use
"rpm -e joe-2.8-43.62" (or rpm -e joe).  Now, if for some reasion I
renamed "joe-2.8-43.62.i386.rpm" to "joe-new.rpm", it would still be
installed as the "joe-2.8-43.62" package.

Could you picture trying to keep tract of what is installed using the
rpm file name?  How would you know if a package is installed if someone
renamed the RPM...

Mikkel