<snipped>

>The computer industry is better at "skills are what we need, not book
>learnin' " than any other tech industry I've ever seen.  I'd recommend
>looking at www.dice.com for technical jobs (mostly in CA, but thats to be
>expected).  Most of the Unix/Linux jobs I've seen require years of
>experience, with no mention made of degrees.

Ooh, that IS interesting! Following a nasty piece of tax legislation (IR35)
this side of the pond, I'd be VERY interested in working in the 'states.

I s'pose I'd better contact dice direct but anyone got any clues what the
cost of living is really like compared to the UK? SO I can determine what
salary roughly equates to what I get now?

And is the West Coast as weird as the Easties make out? :-D

Bill