Hi,
If you can look at the code see what they use for file locking
if they set a lock file, use flock or fnctl. I did a lot of
research on file locking about a year ago. I thought the manuel
pages mentioned that one does not work with NFS. Since I do not
use NFS I was not worried about it. You might try the C mailing
list they were very helpful when I was asking questions.
                 Linda Hanigan