On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, David Brett wrote:

> Hi Mikkel
>
> You are right if I take the exchange server name out, I get blocked by the
> firewall.  I wish I knew sendmail, because there is a server running
> sendmail, I could use as a relay if, I can get it configured to do so.
>
> david

David,
        Do you need to configure your local version of sendmail to use
the other server to relay the mail, or do you need to configure the
other server's copy of sendmail to allow it to relay your mail?
        If you set the other server as the smtp-host in Pine, can you
send mail to outside addresses?  If so, then you can edit
/etc/sendmail.cf on your machine to use the other sendmail server.

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.relay.name

or
DS[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

The second form works when the mail server does not have a name on the
local network.

        If you have to change the config on the other server, then you
will have to look to see if it has the access database enabled.  If it
does, then you can edit the access database.  Look in the /etc/mail
directory, if there is one.  Or it may be in /etc.

Add a line:
your.host.name          RELAY
or
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx         RELAY

You will then have to rebuild the database.  If you have the /etc/mail
directory, then you can just run "make" in that directory.  Otherwise,
you will have to do it manualy.  The usual format is:
makemap hash access < access

But sendmail can be set up to use btree instead of hash.  An easy way to
tell is to look for a section in /etc/sendmail.cf:

# Access list database (for spam stomping)
Kaccess hash -o /etc/mail/access

Mikkel