Hi Jerry,

> > Uh...the VERY FIRST thing on that list should be enabling ipchains/iptables
> > (depending on your version) and setting up your firewalling...

 I do agree with Dave here. For example, if you would have a hosts.deny with
just "ALL: ALL", and a hosts.allow with "ALL: LOCAL" everyone on your subnet
would have access to your machine. Of course this would change when using
"ALL: your.specific.ip.address", but this wouldn't work easily when dialing in
to an ISP that provides dynamic IP's.

> If you are just a single machine, there isn't much to be gained by running
> ipchains.  I suppose that you could install a second ethernet card in your one
> machine and then you could be your own firewall. A lot of extra effort, but
> why?

 I think you are making a mistake here. You don't need to install a second NIC
to run ipchains/iptables. You can use it to protect your single machine
(personal firewall). Relying solely on tcp_wrappers seems a bit silly. Fi, can
you tell me if X uses wrappers? I don't know, but I wouldn't bet on it.

                                        Bye,

                                        Leonard.