Dear Michael,

                        Thanks for the info. I will check out in the
moongroup.com site.  Let me explain in clearer way as to why i would need
this setup. My redhat6.2 box is the mail-server for my 4.0 subnet users .
Moreover, this machine also acts as the internal DNS server for my 4.0
subnet users. The default gateway of this 6.2 box is a machine called as
web-server . web-server in my office is directly connected to the outside
world.  Strictly speaking i don't require this default gateway entry in the
6.2 box, as all of my users browse internet using squid proxy server and
telnet and ftp from 4.0 nodes are not allowed. Now, the problem is that if i
disable default gateway, my sendmail in 6.2 box is not able to do dns lookup
and all the mails meant for outside world stays in the mailq of the 6.2 box.
If i enable the gateway , my sendmail at 6.2 box does the dns lookup and
relays the mail to the 5.2 box. But,  DUE TO THE DEFAULT GATEWAY ENTRY , FTP
CONNECTION TO MY INTERNAL NETWORK TAKES EITHER VERY LONG TIME TO INTIATE OR
IT NOT AT ALL  OPENS FTP CONNECTION.

Any clues how to solve this problem. Since i am a novice user of linux, i
don' t know how to enable the option in sendmail to not to do dns lookup
from the relaying host.  i tried accessing moogroup, but did not find any
constructive help.

Please help me out

Thanks
K.Deepak