On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Bruce Kall wrote:

> I just reinstalled by Linux box from the RH7 CD (not an upgrade).
> Unfortunately
> I installed it as a 'workstation' rather than a 'server'. I
> do not want to completely reinstall it and I cannot telnet,ftp
> etc into it.
>
> I have done an up2date.
>

> I have installed xinitd, wu-ftp but what other rpm's do I need
> to set up?  When I telnet/ftp into it I get a service
> not available.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

Have you turned the services on?  Try running "chkconfig ftp on" and
"chkconfig telnet on".  I think I have the names correct...  Or you can
edit the files in /etc/xinetd.d and set disable to no for the services
you want.  You will need to run "service xinetd restart" to activate the
changes. (I am doing this from memory, and on only one cup of coffee, so
there may be syntax errors...)

Mikkel